The Next Level
Overused WordsHere's a dictionary of words I think are overused in scientific writing:
- Mechanism - sometimes means "I don't know how it works"
- Putative - possible? Often used with other hedging words.
- Framework - general term that seems to add nothing
- Utilize - Usually utilized instead of "use" to inflate writing.
- Elucidate - a prerequisite for every introduction, which describes important mechanisms that "have yet to be elucidated"
- Broadly - can usually be omitted without consequence.
- Extremely - how can everything be extreme?
Back to topics list